I promise that the soul that will venerate this image will not perish. I also promise victory over [its] enemies already here on earth, especially at the hour of death. I Myself will defend it as My own glory. (Notebook I-48)

I desire that you know more profoundly the love that burns in My Heart for souls, and you will understand this when you meditate upon My Passion. Call upon My mercy on behalf of sinners; I desire their salvation. When you say this prayer, with a contrite heart and with faith on behalf of some sinner, I will give him the grace of conversion. This is the prayer: "O Blood and Water, which gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus as a fount of Mercy for us, I trust in You."
(Notebook I-186-187)

Abril 22, 2011

Saturday of Holy Week

Today is Holy Saturday. We sit and mourn today - waiting for the Resurrection.



 
23 April [Holy Saturday, Vigil]
Mt 28:1-10
After the sabbath, as the first day of the week was dawning, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to see the tomb. And suddenly there was a great earthquake; for His appearance was like lightning and his clothing white as snow. For fear of him the guards shook and became like dead men. But the angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid; I know that you are looking for Jesus who was crucified. He is not here; for he has been raised, as he said. Come, see the place where he lay. Then go quickly and tell his disciples, 'He has been raised from the dead, and indeed he is going ahead of you to Galilee; there you will see him.' This is my message for you.” So they left the tomb quickly with fear and great joy, and ran to tell his disciples. Suddenly Jesus met them and said, “Greetings!” And they came to him, took hold of his feet, and worshiped him. Then Jesus said to them, “Do not be afraid; go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee; there they will see me.”
There is no Eucharist of Holy Saturday.  It is the only day of the year when Mass is not celebrated.  The altars are stripped bare, tabernacles lie open and empty – an extraordinarily powerful symbol for Catholics.  The whole Church is one with Christ in his death.  It is necessary to experience this.  We have to allow ourselves experience sadness and loss.  The Liturgy is a wise teacher.
However, piety immediately negates the power of the empty tabernacle by setting up an altar of repose, much more elaborately decorated with flowers and candles than the high altar ever was.  We find it hard to live even for a day with anything that seems like emptiness. 
George Steiner, among others, remarked that our world around us today is a kind of prolonged Holy Saturday: the age between Friday and Sunday, between defeat and hope.  Today, of all days, the Christian heart feels the darkness of the world, and allows itself to look at the darkness in itself. 
The emptiness and darkness that we have allowed ourselves to feel will show us the light of Easter all the more brightly.  In the darkness we rise for the Easter Vigil.  Against a black sky we light the Easter fire.  But this would be a forlorn gesture if Christ were not risen from the dead!  Suddenly the Paschal candle is alight.Lumen Christi! – the light of Christ lightens our darkness.  Exultet!– “Exult, all creation...!  Rejoice, O earth, in shining splendour, radiant in the brightness of your King....  Darkness vanishes forever...!  Let this place resound with joy, echoing the mighty song of all God's people!” 


Sower’s Thought: "Suffering is the greatest sacrament" - Blessed James Alberione, Founder of the Pauline Family



Divine Mercy Holy Week




March 27, 1937. Today, I returned from Pradnik, after nearly four months of treatment. For everything, I give great thanks to God. I have made use of every moment to glorify God. When I went into the chapel for a moment, I realized how much I would have to suffer and struggle, with regard to this whole matter. O Jesus, my strength, You alone can help me; grant me fortitude.




http://www.paulines.ph/paulines_updates/dg20110423.cnt
http://www.saint-faustina.com/Diary/DMIMS22.shtml

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento